Saturday, June 25, 2016

What is Your Identity Based In?

‪#‎mindsetmonday‬ What is your identity based in? Just take a moment and think when you meet a new person what is the first piece you use to identify yourself?  
Growing up the focus for me was on accomplishments, degrees earned, and my profession. So my go to was, "I'm Katherine, I'm an elementary school counselor." 
Living in Chicago was fascinating because the main question people would ask after finding out your name is, "What is your nationality?" So, in Chicago, people defined themselves through their nationality. It also would explain which neighborhood you lived in.
What is your identity rooted in? Being a mother? Your profession? A hobby?
I was thinking about this during a personal training session today. I was thinking, "I am an athlete!" My trainer worked with the University of Iowa baseball team. He trains athletes and I am an athlete. This is part of my identity I want to focus on and agree with more.
Why is it important to find where your identity is rooted? When the most important thing about me was my profession - it limited me. I am a school counselor, but I am also an encourager and motivator. I think when I only focused on accomplishments (like getting good grades, getting a master's degree, or whatever) it was limiting and gave me a spirit of perfection and drivenness. But, when I root my identity in who I am and what is remarkable about me (not focusing on the opinions of others) I can see myself clearly and celebrate what is positive about me. 
So, think for a minute. What is remarkable about you? What makes you uniquely awesome? Can you begin to think about that as part of your identity rather than just being your child's mom or your career? ‪#‎celebratewhoyouare‬ ‪#‎youareworthit‬ ‪#‎changeyourmindsets‬‪#‎changeyourthinking‬ ‪#‎changeyourreality‬

No comments:

Post a Comment